On Jul 10, 2009, at 5:01 AM, Jerzy Zak wrote:

> Single strings or double courses? Of course, we know the man, his
> opus, obviously a swan neck lute, French tuning, bla bla bla, etc.,
> etc. But stop automatic thinking, click again. Wishful thinking, a
> florish of knowledge or chaos of evidence? Is it a trick or a very
> simple matter of fact?

I suspect the apparent single-stringing has more to do with the
trouble it would be for the engraver to render pairs of strings, and
his lack confidence that the ink wouldn't bleed to the point where
two strings would look like one big one.  But I really don't know.
Perhaps Roman has a more informed view.