There is little difference between renaissance viol and baroque viol
as they are now made. If the ren viol has a sound post (and bass bar,
but that's harder to see) then it's not historical. On the other hand,
I know of very few viol players who will attempt public performance
without them.

That said, what makes a ren viol renaissance? shape and color, mostly.
For that matter, few can tell the difference between a german ren viol
and a french 6-string baroque bass.

That said, the whole of basso continuo is open to your bass violist,
and any viol solo with a BC part that the theorbo can cover is fair
game. That's a fairly large amount of music.

There is enough evidence that re-entrant tuning on big lutes was used
before 1619 when Praetorius wrote about theorbos. 1625-or-so is a
pretty good stopping point for the English Golden age, so there's
historically-justifiable overlap for both instruments from the late
1500's through the baroque. Bach wrote for viols (cantatas and the
gamba sonatas) and Devienne was still publishing music for french viol
in the later 1700's.

i.e., just about anything that a theorbo can play with a bass clef
solo part is fair game, and much with higher music that can be
transposed at sight is as well!

Have fun!
ray