Sean Smith wrote:
Not an important post but I just noticed a photo on the Lutening site that I thought I'd share.

It's a 1529 Dutch painting by Jan Cornelisz Vermeyen that depicts the wedding at Cana but the lute is very interesting. I'd guess it's about 50-55cms in stringlength with a nearly perfect outline of the Gerle. All well and good but notice the layered rose and the gothic window where the 12th fret would be! And then there are the extra sound holes on either side of the rose. A lovely mix of solid rennaissance design w/ leftovers from the previous century. I think we're making our 6c lutes way too homogenous!

http://www.rijksmuseum.nl/images/aria/sk/z/sk-a-4820.z

Thanks to Jean-Marie Poirer for posting it!

Sean

A lovely lute - and a fascinating spectacle. What's going on, off frame, bottom right?? Some skullduggery, no doubt. The lutenist looks like a bit of a drip. Is there a narrative behind the painting? Is it dripping with symbolism?

Thanks, Sean, for making the image known. It's a gripe of mine - but why do Daniel and Doc, make their nings, members only to even just visit, whereas Rob and Roman make their nings visible to all. Is it because their names begin with R as opposed to D?

I can see the point about having to join to contribute, so idiots can be kicked out (like this list). But I can't see the point of having an Internet, web presence that is hidden from the wider web, net.

Stuart