Sorry, I'll try again
AH

Dear Sean and Stuart
Le 17 août 09 à 11:17, Stuart Walsh a écrit :

> Sean Smith wrote:
>>     Not an important post but I just noticed a photo on the
>> Lutening site that I thought I'd share.
>>
>> It's a 1529 Dutch painting by Jan Cornelisz Vermeyen that depicts
>> the wedding at Cana but the lute is very interesting. I'd guess
>> it's about 50-55cms in stringlength with a nearly perfect outline
>> of the Gerle. All well and good but notice the layered rose and
>> the gothic window where the 12th fret would be! And then there are
>> the extra sound holes on either side of the rose. A lovely mix of
>> solid rennaissance design w/ leftovers from the previous century.
>> I think we're making our 6c lutes way too homogenous!

I think this is so for all lute types. We know very few of the great
variety of lutes have survived, and yet very few of the surviving
historic lutes are copied (eh "interpreted") by modern makers; but
that is probably not the fault of lutemakers, but rather lutenists
who tend to want a "safe" model, easily recognizable as the typical
instrument for the type of music they are playing. Thus Baroque
lutenists, until recently, tended to chose the Vienna or the Warwick
Frei, rather than any other Frei, or even Maler, in spite of the
known popularity of Maler lutes, at the time.

>> http://www.rijksmuseum.nl/images/aria/sk/z/sk-a-4820.z
>>
>> Thanks to Jean-Marie Poirer for posting it!
>>
>> Sean
>>

> A lovely lute - and a fascinating spectacle. What's going on, off
> frame, bottom right?? Some skullduggery, no doubt.  The lutenist
> looks like a bit of a drip. Is there a narrative behind the
> painting? Is it dripping with symbolism?
>
> Thanks, Sean, for making the image known. It's a gripe of mine -
> but why do Daniel and Doc, make their nings, members only to even
> just visit, whereas Rob and Roman make their nings visible to all.
> Is it because their names begin with R as opposed to D?
>
> I can see the point about having to join to contribute, so idiots
> can be kicked out (like this list). But  I can't see the point of
> having an Internet, web presence that is hidden from the wider web,
> net.

Perhaps, it is because of fears relating to the complex issue of
copyright. If you make your contributions only open to members, then
I imagine there is less risk of problems. I am thinking in particular
of any paintings that you may post, for which museums often have
copyright.
This is a very tricky area. I was going to make a web page, but for
the moment feel I don't understand this sort of issue sufficiently.
Many people just post and hope no one will notice, or care, and I am
sure that is generally the case.

Regards
Anthony