So now I have one lute strung in gut (delightful!) and am wondering
   what folks do with all the extra string hanging from the peg box (I
   don't wind much on the pegs and simply trim the extra when using
   synthetic).  If gut tends to break (I haven't had it on long enough to
   know if this is a tendency), the extra may be enough to re-string the
   same string, so I'm reluctant to trim it off.  Do you who use gut trim
   it, leave it, or wind most of it on the pegs to keep things neater?

   Ned