Dear Anthony,

I don't know if you are aware of the pioneering work on treatment of violin
wood which Joseph Michelman undertook in the US during the 1940s: his work was
published (VIOLIN VARNISH) in 1946.

I believe Michelman was a chemist and certainly his book demonstrates a
rigourous appoach to violin varnish and belly treatments than many earlier
works. What may be on interest in the context of salt loading of sounboards
is that he reported on what he believed the early makers used to permanently
reduce the unecessary weight of the sounboard and improve stifness. In his case
he conducted trials and concluded that linseed oil  was used which replaced the
heavier water content much, perhaps, in the same way as salt loading may do.
Michelman also described work with 'metal soaps' which are produced when water
soluble salts react with fatty acids in the wood - I presume this is also
linked to salt loading outcomes.
In short, well worth a read if you're interested in the subject

Martyn