Thanks for your reply, Howard.  I obviously need to look into the
   differences between these two right hand positions more (though, as
   someone pointed out, there are really more positions than just these
   two).  But, I am making a basic assumption (based upon a limited amount
   of reading) that a style of thumb-under technique was in general use
   before a style of thumb-over technique evolved and became also
   generally used.  Also, that this later style did evolve at the same
   time that more bass courses were being added to the lute.  From that,
   I've arrived at the assumption that something about the thumb-over
   style made it easier to deal with the added bass courses.  Not that
   simple, perhaps. . .

   Might I ask you why you've chosen to use thumb-over as opposed to
   thumb-under?

   Ned