Hello, Chris!

This is an interesting thread.  There actually are a few modern
players who use the true "thumb out" technique, as you describe.  One
that immediately comes to mind is Toyohiko Satoh.  Toyohiko
demonstrated this at the LSA seminar in Cleveland in 2006.  He also
has 2 recordings using this method, his Weichemberger and LeSage de
Richee recordings.  He used his original 11-course lute, made by
Laurentius Greiff.  He has one more coming out, "Ayumi", baroque lute
duets with his daughter, Miki Satoh.  All 3 CD's are performed using
the technique as demonstrated in icongraphical sources you mentioned.

In this technique, Toyohiko plays with the fingers and thumb as you
describe, and it is close to the bridge, with pinky on or behind the
bridge.  According to Toyohiko, the key to making this successful is
to play with very low tension strings, as higher tensions that most
of us use make a sound that is too harsh and brittle.  Using gut in
low tension has been very successful for Toyohiko, as he is able to
get very colorful sounds.  And yes, I would describe it as having
(your words) body, resonance, and dynamic range.  According to
Toyohiko, synthetic strings in low tension using this "authentic"
technique do not yield good results.

He also wrote an article that was published this winter in the LSA
"Q".  The article was about gut strings, and he described using low
tension in detail.

I do not play lute using  this technique and set-up, as it would be
very expensive to switch to lower tension strings, but more so, the
work involved to re-learn a new technique is something that I chose
not to do at this point.  I did lower the tension on both of my
baroque lutes, but I had difficulty in making it work for me.  He
told me it was difficult to re-learn this means of approach to the
baroque lute, and this approach would take a long time.

ed