Eugene--
        Your final point is a good one in the temperament wars.  What,
indeed, did the composer have in mind?  How did he/she hear the music?  What
was it composed upon?  And you're right--one seldom hears of a specified
intonation.  We work off assumptions based on what tunings might have been
used, without knowing how accurately they were executed, or if the composer
ever worked with other ones for comparison.  I (rank amateur) personally
like the sound of my lute in meantone (and would go so far as to suggest it
to others), but I have no idea what anyone else hears in it, so in the
bigger picture perhaps it doesn't matter.

Regards,
Leonard