> Eugene--
>         Your final point is a good one in the temperament wars.  What,
> indeed, did the composer have in mind?  How did he/she hear the music?

Composer isnt the isse I think so much as the performers fear of how the
audience will perceive the performance.

Shalm players are always fussing with the reed.  Bagpipe players with the
masking tape that festoons the hole on the chanter.  Fixed-fret instrument
pluckers are always retuning, not always because new strings are settling,
more often because the key of the new piece differs enough from the  key
of the old one that a new subtle shift in temperament helps it to sound
better.
--
Dana Emery