I'm not saying it is a bad thing, I'm just saying it is the end of an
era. We have a number of unedited videos from this period, and now it
is not really possible to tell new videos are edited or not. Or
people want them edited, and so on.
I think this period served as a sort of reality check compared to
years and years of heavily edited CDs.  There is no stopping
technology, and in the future we will see the same thing in video,
flawless performances, and so on.

I don't consider reverb or removing refrigerator sounds editing so
music as processing. Same goes for color correction. By editing I
mean the matching of different takes to remove all the mistakes., not
just changing camera angles.

Interestingly enough, even in the dawn of the CD age, there never was
a similar period--the digital audio was sometimes even rerecorded to
tape, cut with scissors, and then put back on CD. There are also
early CDs before the development of digital crossfade tools where the
takes are just
spliced together with no fade--just a kind of bumping sound.

I think what Rob is saying about the real sound is true, although
obviously the amount of reverb is variable. But CDs aren't "true" in
the performance sense.
I do look forward to 3D! I'm already experimenting....it is almost here....
And hopefully live concerts will continue.
I think what CDs ceated was kind of a class issue--well funded
artists with big recording companies could produce near perfect recordings.
I'm seeing stuff on the net now that obviously cost tens of thousands
of dollars, and makes the artists look very good indeed. And hey,
maybe that is a good thing. I'll go work on learning my new "hair" plugin.
And lose me a few pounds :)
dt

Hey, maybe it is a good thing.