Siena or Capirola? Casteliano's Diversi Autori or a Francesco facsimile? Paladino or Il Fronimo? An earlier Phalese or an Adriaenssen? The Dowland, de Rippe or Francesco anthologies? Marsh or Pickering? The big Besard or the Varietie? LoST or the Holmes books? Mary Anne or Ginger?

There's lot's to be learned from the non-first choices: eg. Wickhambrook. Short, sweet, many top shelf John Johnson pieces though hardly a desert island choice for length or number of composers represented (but certainly a bargain at the UK L.S.). My advice: for every big name, take a chance on an obscure one.

It's like "How do you stop eating a bag of corn chips?". Just finish the whole bag and the problem is solved. You don't put a lot of effort into which one to start with, do you? Believe me, begin anywhere and in 30 years you'll chuckle over this question, too.

Sean