The Barbe Ms. is a facsimile edition by Minkoff, of ms. Bibliotheque nationale, Paris ca, 1690 Rés/ Vmb.ms7

The ms. progresses by key through many of the major works of all of the different luthiste/composers. Barres and fingerings are notated in red ink as in the original. The fingerings are the best, much better than the fingerings in Saizenay which I don't like at all. The composite is an actual picture of the style of playing. If you take the time and exercise patience to examine and follow through these details, your efforts will be richly rewarded. Barbe is a virtual treasure chest of 17th century musical style for the lute.

Damian

Please visit my web site at www.damianstrings.com
----- Original Message ----- From: "Daniel Winheld" <dwinh...@comcast.net>
To: <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Sent: Sunday, October 18, 2009 9:00 PM
Subject: [LUTE] Re: So, what you consider a "must have" publication?

Damian, Stephen-

Now you've got my attention- can you please tell me a little about the Barbe Ms, or where I can go to find out about it, and maybe
download or buy a copy?

Thanks,  Dan

I'll second that on the Barbe Manuscript for the baroque lute, and for the Renaissance lute I am having a wonderful time working my way
   through the Hortus Musicalis Novus of Elias Mertel.