This type of lute is probably the most depicted type of lute by the dutch masters. It was the kind of lute that Jaques Gautier intruduced into England. Where it became known as the theorbo-lute. If one looks closely at the painting the lute has been painted in perfect perspective. Taking into account that the player (i.e. the painter) plays it holding his instrument in an almost vertical position. Which means that the place where one can check the perspective in relation to the fingerboard is very close to his right leg.

Cheers!

Lex van Sante

Op 22 nov 2009, om 23:05 heeft Jarosław Lipski het volgende geschreven:

Probably it's similar to the lute seen on Hendrik Martensz Sorgh (1611 -1670) "The lute player" in Rijksmuseum, Amsterdam. You can see it on David van Edwards site too http://www.vanedwards.co.uk/history3.htm fig.10.
Best

Jaroslaw

----- Original Message ----- From: ""Mathias Rösel"" <mathias.roe...@t-online.de >
To: "'Lute Net'" <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Sent: Sunday, November 22, 2009 8:13 PM
Subject: [LUTE] Re: Double headed lute pic?

There's another that shows this type invovled in a duet with a keyboard:
http://www.salvatorefiorillo.it/Concert%28Vermeer%29.jpg

Mathias

"wolfgang wiehe" <wie-w...@gmx.de> schrieb:
This lute is present in other pictures of van mieris:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f8/Brothel_Scene_1658_Fr
ans_van_Mieris.jpg
Or here?:
http://www.nga.gov/press/exh/228/assets/228-012-lrg.jpg