     From: David Tayler <vidan...@sbcglobal.net>
     Subject: [LUTE] Re: Double headed lute pic?
     To: "lute-cs.dartmouth.edu" <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
     Date: Monday, 23 November, 2009, 1:08

   The term theorbo lute most likely refers in a general way to a lute
   that has been theorboed, or had modifcation to the neck, or is built
   from scratch to resemble the earlier layer of lutes which were so
   modified.
   As with all terms involving the word "lute" there are many
   definitions possible, but the term is used in contemporaneous
   writings in a a very general way. Similarly, although a number of
   tunings are possible, one can only make a reasonable guess as to the
   tuning unless tab is in the picture or there are other clues. Looking
   carefully at all the instruments in Dutch 17th century paintings, it
   is pretty clear that the Dutch had their own style as far as lutes
   are concerned, but the style is certainly more French than Italian in
   certain repects, so perhaps the influence of Gaultier here is the
   strongest, as you suggest. An analysis of Dutch musical style based
   on the few surviving sources is less clear, like many Dutch sources
   there is a wide variety of intrinsic styles mixed with international
   influences.
   As with all lutes with modified necks, there are always some that
   just more difficult to classify than others, and of this group, one
   of the most problematic is the type in which a branching pegbox seems
   halfway or some way towards a neck extension yet apparently still
   within the realm of a modified peg box. In other words, a bass rider
   or chamtarelle is not an extended neck, but a full extra pegbox will
   often need a neck graft of some sort. The problem is that an extended
   neck of say 10-20cm could be strung and tuned the same as a branching
   pegbox, so classification  becomes more of a guess. Some of these
   instruments almost look as though the pegbox were sliced in half and
   half of the pegs then bent at angle, which then does seem more of a
   modified pegbox than an extended neck, but some of them add a tiny
   bit of string length for obvious reasons of sound, thus placing them
   more in the theorbo camp.
   Arbitrarily, I would say that there is a sort of difference between a
   branched pegbox and an extended neck from an organological point of,
   but there may be no difference in tuning or repertory as even the
   branch has the effect of extending the string depending on the
   position of the nut.
   dt
   At 04:04 PM 11/22/2009, you wrote:
   >This type of lute is probably the most depicted type of lute by the
   =20
   >dutch masters. It was the kind of lute that Jaques Gautier intruduced
   =20=

   >into England. Where it became known as the theorbo-lute. If one looks
   =20=

   >closely at the painting the lute has been painted in perfect =20
   >perspective. Taking into account that the player (i.e. the painter)
   =20