All that stuff is well and good. Actually, it's magnificent,
important, and the best course of study if you are planning to
expound this song to a college audience.

For me personally, all I ever needed was the bare song itself.
Between difficult times in my life- including a touch of depression
here & there, (and some apartments I've lived in!)- well, that song
in particular hits like a kick to the solar plexus. A special "treat"
over the years has been the occasional private performance of it with
the soprano I live with- my wife of 30 odd & special years. A mutual
harrowing & purging. The best of the Elizabethans only gets better
with time, age, and life; it's right there- at the very core.

Dan