Not wishing to condemn anyone without knowing all of the circumstances but it seems to me if the man has time and resources in time to put up a new first rate web site advertising instruments for sale, knowing that he may not be able to complete those orders, or ignore some of them, or all of them,--- it is fraud. I don't know how international law works in matters like this but I certainly would not invest several thousands of dollars not being reasonably assured that I will get what I have ordered in a timely manner. ----- Original Message ----- From: <dem...@suffolk.lib.ny.us>
To: "Lute List" <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Sent: Thursday, December 10, 2009 1:49 PM
Subject: [LUTE] Re: luciano faria

As a luthier myself, I have empathy for any difficulties being experienced
by Luciano. That's as it should be, but when it comes to actually doing
business, all rises to another level.

agreed.

Were these times akin to hstorical times there would be a guild or a mayor
and town council one could look to for oversight.  in todays times there
is bankruptcy court, for those with standing to bring complaint.  We are
not in Brazil, and have little in the way of standing; nor is it
conveniant to make moan of any kind.

I notice that LF now has a web page advertising his work.  A rather
impressive page at that, with many different instruments on show.  I see
nothing in the way of terms, no pictures of the shop, no instruments
listed as ready for sale (that page is under construction), no discussion
of materials used (also under construction).

New orders are of course necessary if the man and his family are to eat;
but one hopes the man is also budgeting his time in the shop to include
some progress on old commitments.  It would be nice if he made some public
acknowlegement of the backlist; perhaps with pictures showing progress.

When someone askes for a recommendation for this man, I think it would be
unethical not to relate my own

no argument.

I wonder if there is any point in trying some kind of group action?
A public website listing outstanding commitments might be a beginning.
To be fair, balance it with a similar list of delivered instruments.
Include a challenge to him to echo it on his own site.

I dont think any want him to go under, just want what was contracted for.
--
Dana Emery