Nicolás,

people are different, and that's a good thing. If you credit that
booklet with having guided you to the baroque lute, then that's a good
thing, too.

> Perhaps you refer
> to the chapter "An update on performance practice", which is a bit severe
> against the "historically authentic performance practice".

First, I have to confess that I gave the CD away after listening and
writing a review, because I didn't want to have it any more. So I cannot
say to which particular chapter and verse I'd refer.

What I do well remember, though, is that according to that booklet, 17th
century French culture was all about everybody sporting their
_decadence_ in terms of sophistication and elaborateness. Regarding
music, that would imply that just everything concerning metre, tempo,
gesture, would be veiled beyond recognition. (And that's IMHO how
Lislevand interprets the music, indeed.)

I call that nonsense because I think that this concept suggests that
what Moliere depicted as a caricature of the précieux movement (in his
comedy Les précieuses ridicules), was real life intended to be so.

> Unless you're talking about his recommendation to listen his beautiful
> French music in good company, with a glass of wine and some tasty cheese...

That's one more thing I wouldn't stand. I do like to eat and and drink
in advance or after a recital, but def not while listening. Would be
like potato crisps in front of the TV set. Probably, I'm old-fashioned.

I do not deny Lislevand's musicianship. He's a virtuoso. Yet because of
his approach to this music, the pieces resulted in brilliant feats
beyond recognition. La belle Homicide is a courante, and I for one
should like to recognize a courante from the start. And if it's a
courante, I'd like to have it go on like a courante, in a steady metre.

The whole things reminds me of a friend of mine who told me some twenty
years ago (when I had no baroque lute yet) that French baroque lute
music is music by autistic composers intended for autistic audiences
(von Autisten fuer Autisten), so you don't need to understand
necessarily what's going on. Maybe it's a saraband, yes, but if it
sounds like a gavotte because of rubato or something else, hey, so what?
Hey, enjoy those brilliant arpeggios, that's what it's all about! I
mean, that's caricature, isn't it. But it coined my prejudices about
French baroque lute music for the next 15 years.

OK, here I stop ranting. Hope you get the idea >8)
--
Mathias