Danny,

let me make myself clear. I find that quote at least as offensive as you
do in both directions, autistic people and French baroque lute music.
When my friend said it, I understood the word autistic in the sense of
"world apart", "beyond recognition".

In that sense, I'm suspicious that it was a widespread approach to
French baroque lute music back then. I'm not critisizing pioneers: we're
the dwarfs who stand on the giants' shoulders today, as we say it in
German. What I'm critiszing, though, is an approach that still purports
the same today.

Mathias