To: "Lutelist list" <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Sent: Monday, December 21, 2009 10:00 AM
Subject: [LUTE] Re: another day at the office take two

Well, there's Jewish tradition in between. Rich musical temple services
are described in the Babylonian Talmud, tractate Arakhin. Levites
playing all kinds of kinnorim (lyres), nevalim (harps), khatzotzerot
(trumpets), khalilim (flutes), tuppim (drum) and many others. The reason
why these instruments aren't allowed in orthodox congregations today is
that that kind of service belonged to the temple which was destroyed in
70 CE and had no double. I haven't heard about the carrying an
instrument violates the Sabbath argument, but it may be so. Quite a bit
of Jewish musical tradition was preserved in the early Christian
congregation of Rome, which had sprung out of the Jewish congregation. A
core group of the new Christian group was formed by Levites.

Mathias

"howard posner" <howardpos...@ca.rr.com> schrieb:
Sorry, left out a sentence, rendering the message rather obscure.

On Dec 20, 2009, at 11:32 AM, howard posner wrote:

> Christian practice derives in large part from post-Temple Jewish
> practice, in which, traditionally, instruments are forbidden in
> services. Alexander points out that there are Biblical references to
> instruments in the Temple, and indeed, Psalm 150, with its references
> to instruments (including nevel and kinnor, both of which are
> sometimes translated as "lyre" or "lute"), is a common part of modern
> Sabbath morning services.

Left out: But in traditional congregations, the psalm, like
everything else, is sung without instruments.