>    The note B relative to A being 440 hertz did not occur in history until
>    Edwardian times in the early 20th century so to call a note B earlier
>    than this seems pointless.

?!?

dont see what 440 has to do with anything, this is a discussion of nominal
pitch, not actual.

are you trying to say that b and b-flat were not considered different
pitches?
are you saying that b-quadratus is unknown prior to the edwardian era?

Keyboard tablature distinguishes B-quadratus from b-rotundus(flat) and has
separate symbols for each

I have seen many 15 and 16c keyboards with the modern set of notes,
including all the accidentals.  I have sung 14c music that is fully
chromatic and is often used to challenge vocalists sight reading skills
(Solage rondeau Fumeux fume par fumee).

Ron, I think you had better go read some Morley.
--
Dana Emery