I can't answer the original question, but I do want to a respond to a
comment about MusicXML in the original post:

> MusicXML records the fret and the pitch; but not the tuning
> (its a big specification, might have missed that).

MusicXML does indeed record the tuning for tablature staves. This is
done with the staff-tuning element. An example of specifying alternate
tuning for guitar tablature is available in the Jonatha Brooke example
file at:

  http://www.recordare.com/xml/samples.html#Contributed

Here's the representation of the alternate guitar tablature tuning
from that file. Line 1 is the line at the bottom of the tablature
staff. Octave 4 is the octave that starts with middle C:

  <staff-details>
    <staff-lines>6</staff-lines>
    <staff-tuning line="1">
      <tuning-step>D</tuning-step>
      <tuning-octave>2</tuning-octave>
    </staff-tuning>
    <staff-tuning line="2">
      <tuning-step>A</tuning-step>
      <tuning-octave>2</tuning-octave>
    </staff-tuning>
    <staff-tuning line="3">
      <tuning-step>D</tuning-step>
      <tuning-octave>3</tuning-octave>
    </staff-tuning>
    <staff-tuning line="4">
      <tuning-step>G</tuning-step>
      <tuning-octave>3</tuning-octave>
    </staff-tuning>
    <staff-tuning line="5">
      <tuning-step>B</tuning-step>
      <tuning-octave>3</tuning-octave>
    </staff-tuning>
    <staff-tuning line="6">
      <tuning-step>D</tuning-step>
      <tuning-octave>4</tuning-octave>
    </staff-tuning>
    <capo>4</capo>
  </staff-details>

The show-frets attribute of the staff-details element also allows for
frets to be represented using either letters or numbers. This was
included specifically to help represent lute tablature.

If you have comments or suggestions on how MusicXML might better
support lute tablature in the future, please feel free to discuss this
on the MusicXML discussion mailing list. Signup is available at:

  http://www.recordare.com/lists#MusicXML

Best regards,

Michael Good
Recordare LLC