Franz,

--- On Fri, 2/12/10, Franz Mechsner <franz.mechs...@northumbria.ac.uk> wrote:

> From: Franz Mechsner <franz.mechs...@northumbria.ac.uk>
> Subject: [LUTE] Re: Robert Spencer Collection
> To: "chriswilke" <chriswi...@yahoo.com>, "Monica Hall" <mjlh...@tiscali.co.uk>
> Cc: "Lutelist" <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
> Date: Friday, February 12, 2010, 9:07 AM
>
>    Fortunately for the soul, playing early
> music and being sexually active
>    are often entirely mutually exclusive
> pursuits. ;-)
>    Chris
>
>    oooooooooops... what is this kind of sad
> wisdom about? Who is speaking
>    here and why? From which part of the soul
> to which one? To my
>    experience each of these activities may
> smoothly and happily blend into
>    the other... :-)

Of course they may.  Sadly, there's usually no member of the opposite sex
involved with either activity.

(I'm speaking entirely tongue-in-cheek here, addressing the stereotype of the
male lutenist who is awkward around women.  This is partly inspired by the
real-life experiences of my friend who plays lute and is also a Star Trek
fanatic.  PLEASE, no one get insulted!  I have nothing against Star Trek.)

Chris