   From: Ed Durbrow <edurb...@sea.plala.or.jp>
   To: LuteNet list <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
   Sent: Mon, February 15, 2010 12:14:00 AM
   Subject: [LUTE] Re: Strange lute in French painting
     On Feb 15, 2010, at 12:31 PM, Nicolas Valencia wrote:
       I've found this lute in a painting by Jacques Linard, (France,
       1600-1645). It's called "The Five Senses and the Four Elements", so
       guess the lute represents hearing. What kind of lute is this?
       [1][1][1]http://www.wga.hu/art/l/linard/senses.jpg
     Looks like a 12 course. The loop on the back is very clear indeed.
   That
     is thicker cord than I've seen before. Also, the position of the loop
     is interesting. It is very near the neck. Others I've seen were more
   in
     the middle, IIRC. What I want to know is what is the thing on the
   table
     to the left of the lute under the bird. And is the bird supposed to
   be
     flying or is it stuffed?
     Ed Durbrow
     Saitama, Japan