And another fascinating character was Joseph de Bologne,
   Carribean/Afro-French musician and martial artist, but thoroughly
   Euorocentric, culturally. A hell of a story, though.

    "Joseph de Bologne, the Chevalier de Saint-Georges, was one of the
   most remarkable figures of the 18th century.  Incredibly, this son of a
   slave rose to the top of French society through his mastery of fencing
   and his genius for classical music."

   http://chevalierdesaintgeorges.homestead.com/Page1.html#27

     On Fri, 19 Feb 2010 12:16:55 -0500, theoj89...@aol.com wrote:
     > Robert Johnson seems to have lived mostly in the Mississippi Delta
     area -
     > one of the greatest exponents of 'delta blues'. The french settled
     in
     > Louisiana - the next state over, but didn't seem to have populated
     this
     > area of mississippi at that time. African folk music, brought over
     by the
     > slaves, is widely thought to be a major influence in delta blues,
     but
     I've
     > never heard that french music influenced them. The french
     influence is,
     > however, still very much alive in cajun folk traditions of
     Louisiana.
     Well, to me the huge time span and the huge area of French influence
     was
     news to me, see
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Louisiana#French_exploratio
     n_and_colonization_.281528.E2.80.931756.29
     which says: "The following present day states were part of the then
     vast
     tract of Louisiana: Louisiana, Mississippi, Arkansas, Oklahoma,
     Missouri,
     Kansas, Nebraska, Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan[citation
     needed],

     Wisconsin, Minnesota, North Dakota, and South Dakota."

     Isn't it strange/interesting/cute/important that African and
     European music

     had to go to America to meet and mix!?