Agnes DeMille had the theory that African American dance was heavily
   influenced by Irish folk dance. The Irish were another downtrodden
   population in 19th-century America ("no Irish need apply"), and the
   Mississippi River basin was filled with Irish dockworkers in steamboat
   days. The Blacks saw the Irish doing their slips and reels and were
   amazed by the footwork. The upper part of the body is held rigid in
   this kind of dancing.  Blacks wondered why and began experimenting. The
   cakewalk and later tap dancing grew out of these experiments. At least
   that was DeMille's theory.
   I think the best we can say is that America (and by that I mean the
   United States) was a melting pot in the best sense of these two words.
   Peter Danner --