Anthony,

    Jaroslaw
         Just one question, first, did you receive my message from the lute
    list, or was it quite empty.
    I have been told that some people received a blank message (probably
    with some relief).

Yes, I received your message. Sorry for not replying straight away. Sometimes I'm not at home for a longer period of time.

    Yes but we can see what they were trying to do by looking at instrument
    structure, not so easilly by looking at strings, as there are not many
    available, except the Mest string.
I agree that instruments give us some indications on what the tendency of lute evolution was, however we shouldn't forget old writings which give us some clues too.

    We can see from the sympathetic stringing that they were indeed trying
    to obtain more sustain, but they could have  just put them on the bass
    end, if it was only bass sustain they were interested in.

I didn't say they were interested only in bass sustain. I was talking about bass strings because this is how our conversation began, but you are right that they were trying to enhance sonority of lutes in general.

    But I am not only interested in the question at a practical level. I do
    happen to be interested in the whole Bass string mystery question. In
    relation to that, we can also discuss the Lang Lay rope solution of
    George, the Spring rope solution of Charles, as well as HT and low
    tension, or Mimmo's loaded solution. All these hopefully, along with
    wire wounds can give more varied performances, but actually, I am also
    interested in the theoretical debate.
    PARA
    I know that first and foremost, you are a practical musician, so this
    may not interest you quite so much, but personally I wouldlisten to the
    general argumentation, even if the strings were not makeable at
    present. I am glad there are attempts at realizing them that do work,
    but I read archeological discussions, that have no obvious practical
    repercussions, and enjoy the reasoning, per se.
I am not sure why you have this impression that I am not interested in solving the mystery of historical strings, on the contrary this is one of my favourite topics as you can see, because type of stringing has very big influence on lute's sound. I'm just not so convinced about what we already have.
Anyway, thank you for interesting conversation.

Best wishes

Jaroslaw

    Thanks again for making le think.
    All the best