Whenever I decide to play Caccini on 7-course lute or on my
   (essentially French kind-of) theorbo, I ponder the matter of Caccini's
   theorbo and things like the fingered g#. First, I really wish I could
   justify the expense of a bass lute with theorbo tuning. It would make
   me whole, in a way.

   The Bottegari lute book (1570s) contains at least one tune by Caccini,
   and considering the sense of portentousness that Nuove Musiche
   (1600something) exudes, I'm inclined to think that versions of the
   other tunes contained in it had also been kicking around Caccini's desk
   for a while, since a time, maybe, when his songs would have been
   accompanied on lute. Even if he says the music is 'Nuove.'

   And since it seems like leaping around octaves in the theorbo bass line
   is just a fact of life and can be perfectly euphonious (on A theorbo I
   always start 'Amarilli' on the 7th course and finger the following f#
   on the 4th course; no complaints yet) I reckon that whatever instrument
   he originally intended the songs to be accompanied by, the bass lines
   would be written in a way that was sensible enough for keyboardists to
   play them as written (maybe also taking pains to ensure that nothing
   figured '11' would be played as a mere '4') but that lutenists and
   theorbo players were no more octave-bound in 1600 than they were when
   Delair authorized playing inconvenient or difficult notes at 16' in
   1690.

   > Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2010 08:49:07 -0800
   > To: Lute@cs.dartmouth.edu; davidvanooi...@gmail.com
   > From: chriswi...@yahoo.com
   > Subject: [LUTE] Re: Caccini's theorbo
   >
   > David,
   >
   > My guess is that is not what we would call a theorbo at all, but
   rather a bass lute probably tuned theorbo-like. All the strings would
   therefore be on one neck and those chromatic basses could be fingered.
   Whether the tuning was in A, G or something else and whether one or
   both of the upper courses were down the octave is anyone's guess.

   > This is almost certainly the same type of instrument Kapsperger used
   for his first chitarrone book. I seem to remember that HK doesn't use
   more than 11 courses in this book and he also requires an apparently
   fingered G# bass note as well as the open G-natural in Toccata VI.