On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 7:51 PM, morgan cornwall
<mcornw...@ns.sympatico.ca> wrote:
>   internet, and watching footage of lute players I realize that there
>   aren't strictly thumb-under and thumb-out techniques, but all the
>   shades in between.

Very true.

>   circumstances, would you recommend that I learn thumb-under technique?

Absolutely.

>   Does it make more sense to use this technique from the start

Yes!
It's fun to learn something new, it makes a better sound on a R-lute,
it makes more sense with the music you'll be playing, and, why bother
with a lute in the first place if you'd be playing guitar on it?
Congratulations on the S&S student lute, they're great!

>   Should I not even worry about using thumb-under?

Worry is the last thing you should be doing about it. Just play,
enjoy, work at it.

David - been there, done that