   Von: lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu im Auftrag von Christopher Stetson
   Gesendet: Mi 05.05.2010 13:05
   An: lute; wolfgang wiehe
   Betreff: [LUTE] Re: stringing of a "wandervogellaute"

      Hi, Wolfgang and all.
      I don't have a guitar lute, but several early 20th c. guitars.  Why
   get
      fancy?  Just buy a standard classical guitar string set.  It will at
      least come close, and the good news is the price.  In 1920 it would
      still have been gut. and you can get a standard gut set for about 30
      USD here in the USA.  I'd probably go with an Aquila nylgut
   Alabastro
      set (10 USD here in USA) , but any classical guitar set would
   probably
      be fine.  I'm even thinking of trying D'Addarios on my 1900 parlor
      guitar (currently Alabastros), because they sound so good on my
      friend's 1909 guitar.
      And you might find it's not a bad instrument if you let it be what
   it
      is.  There's an interesting body of German songs with guitar from
   1903
      to 1917 here:
   [1][2]http://www.muslib.se/ebibliotek/boije/Boije_g.htm ,
      presumably the music it was made to play, and potentially
   fascinating
      historically.  Look in Gitarristische Vereinigung and Der
      Guitarrefreund Musikbeilage.  I've been wanting to explore them for
      awhile, but it never quite makes the top of the list.
      Best to all, and keep playing,
      Chris.
      >>> "wolfgang wiehe" <wie-w...@gmx.de> 5/5/2010 6:09 AM >>>
      hello all,
      I get a present from member of our church choir: a 6-string
      "wandervogelgitarre" 63cm mensur. It is the instrument of her father
      (born in 1904). so its about 90 years old. not very pretty but
   corpus
      and soundboard without cracks and with intact mechanics. the
   instrument
      is stringed with nylon and cu-wounded guitar strings (more than 30
      years old and made in GDR!), make a deep bass sound (I tuned it in
      D)....
      Someone has experiences with stringing this furniture? mathias
   roesel
      told me to string it with nylgut (4 kg tension....)
      greetings
      w.
      [2][3]http://www.cs.dartmouth.edu/~wbc/lute-admin/index.html