Hi, Wolfgang and all.

   I don't have a guitar lute, but several early 20th c. guitars.  Why get
   fancy?  Just buy a standard classical guitar string set.  It will at
   least come close, and the good news is the price.  In 1920 it would
   still have been gut. and you can get a standard gut set for about 30
   USD here in the USA.  I'd probably go with an Aquila nylgut Alabastro
   set (10 USD here in USA) , but any classical guitar set would probably
   be fine.  I'm even thinking of trying D'Addarios on my 1900 parlor
   guitar (currently Alabastros), because they sound so good on my
   friend's 1909 guitar.

   And you might find it's not a bad instrument if you let it be what it
   is.  There's an interesting body of German songs with guitar from 1903
   to 1917 here:  [1]http://www.muslib.se/ebibliotek/boije/Boije_g.htm ,
   presumably the music it was made to play, and potentially fascinating
   historically.  Look in Gitarristische Vereinigung and Der
   Guitarrefreund Musikbeilage.  I've been wanting to explore them for
   awhile, but it never quite makes the top of the list.

   Best to all, and keep playing,

   Chris.
   >>> "wolfgang wiehe" <wie-w...@gmx.de> 5/5/2010 6:09 AM >>>
   hello all,
   I get a present from member of our church choir: a 6-string
   "wandervogelgitarre" 63cm mensur. It is the instrument of her father
   (born in 1904). so its about 90 years old. not very pretty but corpus
   and soundboard without cracks and with intact mechanics. the instrument
   is stringed with nylon and cu-wounded guitar strings (more than 30
   years old and made in GDR!), make a deep bass sound (I tuned it in
   D)....
   Someone has experiences with stringing this furniture? mathias roesel
   told me to string it with nylgut (4 kg tension....)
   greetings
   w.