Not all fluorocarbon fishing lines make good strings.  I've had pretty poor
luck with Berkley's house brand of fluorocarbon fishing line.  Under
continuous tension (e.g., as an instrument string), I have found it to fray
and lose intonation along its length.  I've had much better luck with P-Line
CFX flourocarbon fly fishing leader material.  It's much more expensive than
large spools of line, but still much less expensive than an equivalent
length of gut string.  Most of the fluorocarbon made for fishing you'll find
will be ca. 0.5 mm or thinner.

Best,
Eugene