Arto,

    I've noticed that the overtones of nylgut are not as consistent as other
synthetic materials.  Maybe this is because of the textured surface.  But isn't
that the point?  I thought this was purposely done in order to mimic the
naturally occurring irregularities of gut.

    Having said that, there is nothing at all wrong with this.  Generally
speaking, the more prevalent the overtones,, the more character a tone has.
This was the whole reason for neck extensions; a long bass string prominently
exposes the second overtone (12th or 5th) which makes for a brassy tone that
can easily cut through an ensemble.

Chris

Christopher Wilke
Lutenist, Guitarist and Composer