I love the appearence and feel of the non-geared pegs on my Stephen
   Gottlieb 11c Warwick. A number of lutenists who tried this lute told me
   they were the best pegs thay had used. Nevertheless, following a three
   week stay in very humid Normandy, I returned to relatively dry Paris,
   and found the majority of my pegs completely stuck.
   I was quite unable to move them by hand and even had great difficulty
   in moving them at all, using a very handy wooden tool made by Wolfgang
   Fruh, here in Paris. I was terrified that either a peg would break, or
   the peg-box would crack, but finally they all did move, without visible
   damage.
   Nevertheless, if it wasn't for the fact that Stephen's pegs are
   beautiful, and Wolfgang's peg mover does bring a sort of geared control
   to them, I would gladly adopt geared pegs, just to avoid another
   similar episode, after my next trip back to Normandy.
   Initially, I was very doubtful about Wolfgang's peg turner, fearing the
   added force could bring damage, but it does seem to work very well
   indeed, and gives more precision and accuracy than just using unaided
   hand-force, which almost always leads to overshoot.
   It is definitely worth trying one of these, they look good and seem to
   work well (and it doesn't slip off the peg, as some similar tools are
   said to do); although I will not accept responsibility for any broken
   peg-boxes ...
   Anthony