     From: Martin Shepherd <mar...@luteshop.co.uk>
     Subject: [LUTE] Re: Re Re: geared pegs and [Wolfgang's peg turner]
     To: "Lute List" <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
     Date: Monday, 21 June, 2010, 10:59

   Dear Anthony and All,
   If your pegs stick because they have swollen or the pegbox has shrunk,
   try putting the pegbox near a source of gentle heat such as a desk lamp
   - no need for it to be hot, just slightly warmer than the
   surroundings.  That will reduce the humidity and may take you back to
   where you started.  Using force without trying to modify the humidity
   is not recommended!
   Best wishes,
   Martin
   Anthony Hind wrote:
   >        I love the appearence and feel of the non-geared pegs on my
   Stephen
   >    Gottlieb 11c Warwick. A number of lutenists who tried this lute
   told me
   >    they were the best pegs thay had used. Nevertheless, following a
   three
   >    week stay in very humid Normandy, I returned to relatively dry
   Paris,
   >    and found the majority of my pegs completely stuck.
   >    I was quite unable to move them by hand and even had great
   difficulty
   >    in moving them at all, using a very handy wooden tool made by
   Wolfgang
   >    Fruh, here in Paris. I was terrified that either a peg would
   break, or
   >    the peg-box would crack, but finally they all did move, without
   visible
   >    damage.
   >    Nevertheless, if it wasn't for the fact that Stephen's pegs are
   >    beautiful, and Wolfgang's peg mover does bring a sort of geared
   control
   >    to them, I would gladly adopt geared pegs, just to avoid another
   >    similar episode, after my next trip back to Normandy.
   >    Initially, I was very doubtful about Wolfgang's peg turner,
   fearing the
   >    added force could bring damage, but it does seem to work very well
   >    indeed, and gives more precision and accuracy than just using
   unaided
   >    hand-force, which almost always leads to overshoot.
   >    It is definitely worth trying one of these, they look good and
   seem to
   >    work well (and it doesn't slip off the peg, as some similar tools
   are
   >    said to do); although I will not accept responsibility for any
   broken
   >    peg-boxes ...
   >    Anthony
   Brazil
   >    nut.
   >    > d
   >    >
   >    > At 06:23 PM 6/20/2010, you wrote:
   >    > >It can be on many lutes, but not on this particular nut.
   >    > >
   >    > >ed
   >    > >
   >    > >At 08:16 PM 6/20/2010, Miles Dempster wrote:
   >    > >
   >    > > >But isn't there still the problem of the strings sticking on
   the
   >    nut?
   >    > > >
   >    > > >Miles
   >    > > >
   >    > > >On 2010-06-20, at 9:07 PM, Edward Martin wrote:
   >    > > >
   >    > > > > I saw this lute in Dan Larson's shop yesterday. It is a
   very,
   >    very
   >    > > > > nice Frei, and yes, the pegs, or kegs, or whatever you
   want to
   >    call
   >    > > > > them, are very nice, very interesting. They are, as DT
   says,
   >    smooth
   >    > > > > as butter, and they will never slip, as pegs do. They are
   >    plain, but
   >    > > > > very attractive..
   >    > > > >
   >    > > > > I don't know the cost, but I think Dan said somewhere
   around
   >    $30
   >    > > > > each. But, what an improvement over friction pegs! Not
   only can
   >    one
   >    > > > > tune more accurately, but quicker, with no errors, i.e.,
   >    > > > > slipping. Yes, they do need to be fitted by a luthier, but
   Dan
   >    > > > > informs me they are quite easy to put in.
   >    > > > >
   >    > > > > The person who sells these gears has been after Dan for a
   >    while, to
   >    > > > > try them on lutes, but Dan resisted, thinking the weight
   was
   >    too
   >    > > > > much. But, There is no noticeable difference in weight
   that I
   >    could
   >    > > > > discern as compared to pegs, and the sound is not affected
   in
   >    any
   >    > way.
   >    > > > >
   >    > > > > I am most impressed. I have ordered a set for my vihuela.
   >    > > > >
   >    > > > > ed
   >    > > > >
   >    > > > >
   >    > > > >
   >    > > > >
   >    > > > >
   >    > > > > At 05:21 PM 6/20/2010, Edward Mast wrote:
   >    > > > >> I don't have geared pegs on my cello, but know a cellist
   - and
   >    > > > >> violinist - who does. They like them a lot. My questions
   would
   >    be:
   >    > > > >> 1) How much would each peg for a lute cost?
   >    > > > >> 2) Would they need to be fitted by a luthier, or could
   the
   >    player
   >    > > > >> do it him/herself?
   >    > > > >> 3) Assuming a peg with gears weighs more than a plain
   wooden
   >    peg
   >    > > > >> (?), would geared pegs add significantly to the weight of
   the
   >    peg
   >    > > > >> box? Enough to change the balance of the instrument?
   >    > > > >>
   >    > > > >> Ned
   >    > > > >> On Jun 20, 2010, at 3:33 PM, David Tayler wrote:
   >    > > > >>
   >    > > > >>> At BFX 2010, I had the opportunity to play Dan Larson's
   Frey

   [1][3]http://www.flickr.com/photos/voicesofmusic/sets/72157624142677939
   /
   [2][4]http://www.cs.dartmouth.edu/~wbc/lute-admin/index.html