Chris made a good brief summation.

I have not much more to add..... I started out with 13-course
lute.  Only after many years, I got a 2nd lute, 11-course.  Since
that time, I have not looked back, and my current baroque interest
for the past few years has been for 11-course music.

At 11:20 AM 6/25/2010, Herbert Ward wrote:

>I've been playing Renaissance lute for 4-5 years now, and I'm
>looking to begin Baroque lute.  Is it OK to start with a 13-course
>lute?  Or should a beginner get an 11-course lute?
>

>To get on or off this list see list information at
>http://www.cs.dartmouth.edu/~wbc/lute-admin/index.html

Edward Martin
2817 East 2nd Street
Duluth, Minnesota  55812