Herbert,

I've been playing Baroque lute for one year and my 13 course has allowed me
to approach XVII and XVIII c. repertoires, both of which I love.

IMHO, 11c French music is not necessarily a "first step" before 13c, as some
French pieces can be harder than some German music. Moreover, while you're
learning to play 11 courses there's no such a big difference playing 2
courses more...

Of course, there's some issues related to the acoustic differences between
11c and some 13c lutes, but in my case it's a matter of affordability, as I
can't have both of them. So thanks to my 13c I have both for the same price!
:-)

Best,

Nicolás