To: "LuteNet list" <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Sent: Sunday, September 12, 2010 10:10 PM
Subject: [LUTE] Re: Translate Italiano "pioverin"?

On Sep 10, 2010, at 5:28 AM, Sam Chapman wrote:

Garbled version of "poverino" (poor one)?

Perhaps. Arthur Ness renders it "poverin" in his online table of contents of Marco's works. When I put Paul O'Dette's Marco CD in my computer, that title comes up "Pioverin" on the index, but on the CD sleeve, it's "ioverin" which must be a typo. I got a private email saying that in one modern dialect, "pioverin" is something like a rain gutter. I cruised through the Bayerische Staatsbibliothek Mus. Ms. 266, but I couldn't make out most of the titles, which means even if I found the word, I probably wouldn't have any better idea about what it says.