Bruno,

    You're correct.  The author advises not to use the 'a' finger.  The reason
behind this and other arcane mysteries will be explained in Kapsperger's new
book "Kapsperger della musica."  Coming soon to a bookseller near you!  HK only
gives p-i-m-i and Picinnini advises the same way except in very quick passages
where you can strum the chords "in a single blow as on the lute."  I personally
don't think they cared about always going from low to high, but who knows?

Chris

Christopher Wilke
Lutenist, Guitarist and Composer
www.christopherwilke.com