Dear Morgan, Franz, and Ned,

   I'm glad I could be of some help! If you don't have a teacher it can
   sometimes take years to find solutions to relatively simple problems,
   so by passing on things that Hoppy told me I hope to be able to speed
   up the process a bit!

   The guitar videos are indeed supposed to be thumb out! As far as I
   know, baroque guitar was never played thumb-in. But it's true, my thumb
   doesn't extend as much as it probably should. I find it quite hard to
   keep my little finger on the soundboard, keep the thumb out AND make a
   nice sound. These videos were made a few years ago though, so maybe I'd
   manage it better now...In any case, when I play chords with the thumb
   and fingers, I don't think you ever see the fingers passing over the
   thumb (which for me more or less defines "thumb-in" technique).

   All the best,

   Sam