Hi Ned,

   This is a sticky topic and players tend to deal with it in different
   ways. If the kind of music you're playing is made up almost entirely of
   runs but contains the odd 3 voice chord, it's probably best to set up
   your hand/arm/lute position to prioritise the p-i runs, i.e. keep the
   lute and right arm as horizontal as possible. With the lute and hand
   like this, your thumb will probably most naturally pass inside your
   middle finger. However, if what you're playing contains a lot of 3 or 4
   note chords, I find that a slightly less horizontal position allows me
   to get a clearer sound with all the fingers. In this case my thumb
   might pass either inside or outside my middle finger, or possibly, as
   you said, move opposite or even collide with it. I think it's generally
   better to avoid letting fingers collide with each other, but you should
   be guided by the sound and comfort of the hands, rather than a
   "principle". It will also depend on the length of your fingers and
   thumb. The main thing is to find a good position for the lute, arm and
   hand, then let the fingers move naturally. There is no point trying to
   force the thumb or a finger to move in a direction it simply doesn't
   want to go in!

   I wonder if that helps at all? Good luck!

   Sam