On 07/12/2010 19:18, Jean-Marie Poirier wrote:
Thank you Dan. Much appreciated.
In fact I did quite a few "arrangements" (rather harmonizations in fact) of
some Carolan's pieces for the recording we did last summer with my ensemble. There are a
few solos in the programme, that is one of them. The cd should be released next mont
hopefully...

Best,

Jan-Marie

Jean-Marie

I enjoyed your arrangement/harmonisation too. I wonder if anyone might have thought it was from Balcarres, even though Carolan is from a different country and from a different era (and yet maybe your arrangement/harmonisation... is more fluent?)

The last time you put up some arrangements/harmonisations with your group I thought I'd like to have a go at something like it and I dug out some old Irish melodies - I think they were from Bunting. Anyway I had single lines in front of me and absolutely no idea what to do with them

Do you create a bass line and/or have harmonies in your head? I can understand that once you have some sketch of bass+harmony, you can make it idiomatically Baroque lute music but I don't know where you get the bass and harmony from!

Stuart

=================================

== En réponse au message du 07-12-2010, 20:02:29 ==

Beautiful! Bravo! I love Carolan's music- very well played too; wish
I had the time&  brains to arrange his music for lute, one of my old
favorites. (used to play versions on lyra viol, years ago). Nice
lute, too. One of my friends is getting a theorbo from Van Edwards.

Thanks, please record more of this.

Dan

A little video on YT, from a concert in August at Conzac, in the
southwest of France.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLB4tRue6xU
(My first vid with my then brand new 11 c. lute by David Van Edwards).
This piece will be on our cd "Green Sleeves and Pudding-Pies", with
music from the Celtic lands (Scotland, Ireland, Wales and Brittany)
in the 17th and 18th centuries which should be released some time in
January...