To Ned and All:
   This is indeed positive reinforcement.  The lute I use about half the
   time is 72 cm, which is a little long for renaissance tuning but the
   results are rewarding.
   Ron Andrico
   www.mignarda.com
   > Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2011 17:54:45 -0500
   > To: twlute...@hotmail.com
   > CC: mar...@luteshop.co.uk; lute@cs.dartmouth.edu
   > From: nedma...@aol.com
   > Subject: [LUTE] Re: new piece of the month
   >
   > I'm sure Tom is much more familiar with historical lutes than I am.
   But I'll accept that he's right about the ideal nature of these
   proportions. The sound Martin gets from it would certainly support that
   view. Having owned a lute with 64cm string length for a while, I must
   admire anyone who can navigate 67cm. I have rather large hands and
   don't see how I could manage it. My hat's off to Martin (and those
   players of the 16th century who mastered such large instruments). I
   know guitarists commonly play about 64cm string length, but with much
   narrower fingerboards than lutes.