     From: Martin Shepherd <mar...@luteshop.co.uk>
     Subject: [LUTE] Re: new piece of the month
     To: "Daniel Winheld" <dwinh...@comcast.net>
     Cc: lute@cs.dartmouth.edu
     Date: Tuesday, 1 February, 2011, 10:01

   Thanks for your comments, Dan.  Just a few random thoughts of my own:
   The business of different sizes of lute is interesting.  One thing is
   clear - you get used to whatever you are playing at the moment, and
   when you change to a different lute (shorter or longer) it seems
   strange at first.
   Just for the record (Ed), guitar fingerboards are not narrower - a
   standard size classical guitar has about the same string band (across
   six single strings) as an 8c lute.  The spacing of courses on the lute
   is much the same as on steel string or electric guitars, quite narrow.
   People often say they couldn't possibly play a lute bigger than about
   60cm because of the stretches.  People's hands differ, maybe I'm lucky
   but I have quite small hands and can still play that Ab chord
   (f1-b2-d4-b6) on a 67cm lute.  A few years ago I made a 76cm lute for
   Mark Wheeler and apart from the amazing power of it, I was delighted to
   find that playing most solos on it was no problem for me (or for him).
   Smaller lutes might make some stretches easier but they have some
   problems of their own - as Thomas says, the "sweet spot" is quite
   narrow and in general I always feel more precision is required.  Some
   time ago Sean Smith reminded me of another factor, that as you go
   higher up the fingerboard and frets can get uncomfortably close
   together - a problem which disappears on a bigger lute.  I have a
   53.5cm lute which I have always loved, but I have to get in training to
   play it.
   The 67cm lutes are excellent for accompanying singers as well - more
   depth of sound, power and flexibility.
   Dan, there are two of my C36 9c lutes for sale at the moment - one
   being advertised by Gordon Gregory, the other not yet advertised
   because I'm going to lower the action slightly (this is the striped yew
   one on my website).
   Best to All,
   Martin