David,

This was something I started, and Bernd Haegemann and Arthur Ness reached
the conclusion you cite.  Thank you all very much!

I played around with the music yesterday and I concluded that it does
indeed seem to make sense.  I would love to see the scanned material you
mention, if it's not too much trouble.

Peter.