Thanks, I'd forgotten that. Can you help us out by telling us something about which is which? I'm thinking mostly of the printed book, and the music in the Barbe MS - and it would be interesting to know if they are by different composers. Isn't there also guitar music, or is that yet another Gallot?

Martin

On 20/03/2011 00:25, Mathias Roesel wrote:
Erm … there were two …

Mathias

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu [mailto:lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu] Im
Auftrag von Martin Shepherd
Gesendet: Samstag, 19. März 2011 12:41
An: Lute List
Betreff: [LUTE] Re: Jacques Gallot and Francesco da Milano

Yes, I agree!

Martin

On 18/03/2011 22:46, wikla wrote:
-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [BAROQUE-LUTE] Jacques Gallot and Francesco da Milano
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2011 23:29:00 +0200
From: wikla<wi...@cs.helsinki.fi>
To: baroque-l...@cs.dartmouth.edu

Dear baroque lutenists,

after having check-played through quite a few pieces by Jacques
Gallot, I've come to the conclusion (that means this is my subjective
opininion, of
course!) that Jacques really is one of the great lute composers - in
the level of F. da Milano, Dowland, E. Gaultier and such). And what
especially came to mind, is that J. Gallot in a way tastes same as
Francesco da Milano
- about 150 years later: very economic writing, actually in extrem,
very clever ideas of melody and harmony, extremely very well written
to the instrument, its tuning, and to the fingers of both hands of the
player. Not to speak of the enjoyment to the ears and understanding.

So Jacques is thus taken to my heaven of lute geniuses!  :-)

Recommended!

All the best,

Arto