Dear Martin,

   I prefer the sight of a clean white top than an old dark and greased
   one. Anyway, my concern is about the protection of the soundboard. The
   top of my 23 years old archlute (preowned btw) looks good, but I can't
   see any trace of the varnish. If the instrument is left as it is, could
   the humidity or age by itself damage the instrument?

   Also, in classical guitars the varnish helps to enhance the sound of
   the instrument, as Jose Ramirez III wrote in his biography of the
   Ramirez family.

   Appreciate your coments.