My responses were inadvertently sent only to Benny:
   ======
   At least in the late Elizabethan form of the English pavan for lute,
   the musical and dynamic climax almost always occurs in the middle
   section, which typically ends on some sort of dominant.  The third
   section 'winds down' in terms of rhythmic energy and melodic activity.
   For a good illustration of this point, check out the lute pavans of
   Holborne, which were surely conceived as dance music and almost
   uniformly adhere to this analysis.  I hope this helps.
   ======
   My feeling is that proportional integrity should be the aesthetic
   reason for performing the repeat of the third section.  Also, the
   rhetorical convention of repetition amplifies the final statement of
   the poetry.
   That said, you should probably do whatever floats your boat.  Probably
   no lives will be lost if you decide to omit the repeat and, hopefully,
   no authenticity police will come pounding on your door in the dark of
   the night.
   As for 'In darkness let me dwell', the ending is indeed a special
   effect, which Dowland also used in 'Semper Dowland, semper dolens' from
   the instrumental collection Lachrimae.  However, 'In darkness' is a
   through-composed song, while FMT has a more conventional verse
   structure.
   RA