On 27/05/2011 22:41, Edward Mast wrote:
I had a Hauser-model lute with metal frets.  Worked fine with heavy gauge
strings.  But when I decided to try some lighter gauge lute strings (like what
I'm not using on my more historical instrument), the metal frets wore through
the windings of the wound strings within a week.  I suspect they would wear
down gut strings, also.  So, I assume metal frets would have been suitable for
wire strung instruments only.  But I'm only surmising; I have no historical
evidence!

Ned

Guitars from some time around 1800 (and a bit earlier?) had metal frets and gut strings until well into the 20th century with the invention of nylon. From around 1800 just about all plucked instruments have metal frets regardless of string material.

Stuart