I don't know of any gut strung instruments (in the 16th century) with metal frets --probably for just the reason you state. Metal frets usually seemed to go hand-in-hand with scalloped frets, too. I had assumed that it decreases any sharp bend north of the fret to prevent wayward intonation although in doing so it could possibly increase the stringlife.

Guitars in the early 20th century used metal frets and gut together, I presume. I remember seeing an old wandervogel lute with scalloped frets. Are there more examples of this combination?

Sean